The benefits of LED
- Many, but not all, are dual voltage so they will operate on both 12/24V meaning that you don’t have to change bulbs when you plug in a 7½ ton lorry as opposed to a standard commercial vehicle or car.
- They are sealed, normally epoxy resin filled on the back, which means they are totally waterproof.
- And because of the above, the are also not susceptible to vibration.
- They last many times longer than bulb lights so the return on investment is substantial.
At ATE, we fully recommend that you change your trailer lights to LED.
How to wire a 7-pin plug
Glenn demonstrates the wiring of a 7-pin plug. Firstly, break open the plug, remove the inner section and loosen all the screws on each terminal. You’ll notice that they are numbered and that relates to the colours that connect to each terminal. It is best to fit the black wire first, as this is difficult to get to once you’ve screwed the others in. Then place the inner section back into the casing and snap it back up. Then to test the lights, use our electrical tester which will ensure it is all wired up properly and working.
How to change a bulb in a lightboard
Glenn Pooley shows us how to change a bulb in a lightboard.
With the introduction of type-approval, lightboards have become less used, but are predominately used for bringing equipment back that the lights have failed on. It is important to note the length of your vehicle determines what size lightboard you will need. If you have identified that you need to replace a bulb on your lightboard, or on your trailer, simply take a screwdriver, remove the two screws on the lens and remove the face of the lens. Then unscrew the bulb, replace it with the new one and then replace the lens and screws.
How to use an electrical tester
A product that is unique to ATE, the electrical tester was designed by our in-house R&D team. It is the only electrical tester on the market that can be used by both 7 and 13-pin plugs and comes with an adapter to facilitate this. The benefits of our electric tester are:
- Has a lithium-ion battery internally, which lasts eight hours running time.
- Is fully portable and is one man operable unlike many other on the market.
- Simple and easy to use, series of buttons across the front; start, stop, off and a battery monitor to monitor the condition of the battery, whether it needs charging or not.